Quick Coq au Vin (French Chicken in Red Wine Sauce!)
What You Need:
- 1 Tbsp Good Olive Oil
- 3 Strips of Your Favorite Bacon, diced
- 1-16oz Bag John Soules Foods Rotisserie Chicken Strips, Frozen
- Kosher Salt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- ¼ lb Carrots, diced
- ½ Yellow Onion, sliced
- 3 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 3 Tbsp Brandy (Optional, adds an “Old World” flavor)
- 1 Cup Good Dry Red Wine – something you’ll want to drink the rest of!
- ½ Cup Good Chicken Stock
- 5 Fresh Thyme Sprigs
- 3 Tbsp Salted Butter, at room temperature, divided
- 1 Tbsp All-Purpose Flour
- ¼ lb Small Pearl Onions, Frozen
- ¼ lb Cremini Mushrooms, stems removed and thickly sliced
Let’s Make It!
Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven. Add the bacon and cook over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove the bacon to a plate to rest.
Add the carrots, onions, 1 tsp salt, and ½ tsp pepper to the pan and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are lightly browned. Add 2 Tbsp butter, the garlic and mushrooms and cook for 2 more minutes. When the carrots are soft…
Add the Brandy, bacon, wine, chicken stock, pearl onions and thyme and bring to a simmer. Leave the lid OFF to reduce the liquid about an inch down the pot, about 10 minutes.
Mash 1 Tbsp butter and the flour together and stir into the stew. Add frozen John Soules Foods Rotisserie Chicken Strips. Bring the stew to a simmer and cook for another 5 minutes. You DON’T want to overcook the chicken, chicken is already fully cooked.
Extra season to taste. Dutch Oven goes right to the table! Serve hot with Mashed potatoes.